sâmbătă, 2 februarie 2013

Guest Post: Belle Whittington - Writing Experience

Hi, guys. How are you? Do you know what are we celebrating today? Yes! The second book of Cicada, Firefly is released today. So to celebrate I invited Belle to tell us about her writing experience. Here it is what she told us. Enjoy reading!



Belle resides somewhere north of Houston, Texas in a small inconsequential town with the smallest most inconsequential name. There in the shady reaches of the pines, elms, and oaks, she daydreams of adventures and secrets that she weaves throughout her stories. She studied literature at University of Houston and has been known to consider the idea of becoming a professor of English someday.


Belle Whittington’s social networking sites:
WebsiteFacebookGoodreadsTumblrTwitterKindlegraph (for free e-book autographs)




A question I’m frequently asked is what my experience was like as a debut YA author. What can I say? It was not only a whirlwind, but it was fabulous! Being an indie author takes a lot of work, perseverance, and creativity. That first year as a debut author was filled with a lot of work. But it was truly a labor of love. I adored every moment of meeting book bloggers and reviewers while promoting Cicada. Book bloggers and reviewers are simply the coolest, sweetest people ever!
I devoted about 4 hours a day to promoting Cicada and getting my name out their in cyberspace. That takes a great deal of perseverance ... and about 10 percent obsession. ;-) The creativity part of it entered the picture while meeting bloggers and figuring out how to promote Cicada in the most efficient manner possible. And not only those things, but many other things that I cannot even remember at this very moment.
All of those things were worth every ounce of energy I spent, every late night I sat at my computer writing guest posts or answering interview questions, or any of the many other things it took to promote Cicada. I think the reason it was worth it is because it was like magic when Cicada was released … it was a life-long dream come true for me. It was a fantastic feeling seeing my daydreams released into the world for others to read. I simply adored it, and I remember that I felt as though I were walking on Cloud 9!
While Cicada was an easy book for me to write, I’ll admit that Firefly was a lot more challenging. I suppose there are a lot of reasons for that, but the main reason is that Firefly is a lot longer than Cicada. It also answers a lot of questions readers are left with at the end of Cicada. And I hope readers will be happy about that! Oh, and I hope readers will enjoy meeting a mysterious new character named Ash.
I have a day job where I work 8-5 on Monday through Friday, so writing is something I squeeze in throughout the day. Writing isn’t always about putting words on paper. Writing is also about daydreaming stories so I know what I want to write when I get to sit down in peace at my computer in the evenings after work. Though I have a full-time day job, I consider myself, first and foremost, an author. That’s because writing is virtually all I think about. I’m sure I drive my daughter mad talking about my characters all the time like they’re real people! LOL! Being an indie author means the brunt of all costs lies on my shoulders. It’s up to me to hire the editor, the book designer, and the cover designer. It’s also up to me to spend the time getting everything sorted out to get them uploaded and published. Those are probably the things I would list as disadvantages to being an indie author. However, I plowed ahead, because this is my labor of love … my dream come true. And if an indie author is doing her job correctly, she will have met people who will invite her to participate in book festivals where she can sell books and make all that money back. Elbow grease pays off!
And so I’m writing this the night before the official release date for Firefly. My feelings tonight are so much different than they were the night before Cicada was released. Why? Because when Cicada was released, I didn’t know any book reviewers or bloggers. There was no big release expectation among readers, because I had no fans yet. This time, I have many lovely fans and readers. This time, my stomach is full of knots and has been for days. This time, I have people who expect a good story that answers questions. I’m hoping Firefly meets and exceeds everyone’s expectations.
And, above all, I hope all my readers and fans know how much I adore them! Because, I’m convinced that I’ve got the best readers in the universe!

1 comentarii:

Belle spunea...

Much love to you from Texas!
Thank you so much for featuring me on your blog today! <3

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes